Changzhou, known as a central city of Suzhou-Wuxi-Changzhou metropolitan area, which the State Council selected as the Demonstration Zone of Independent Innovation in south Jiangsu Province in 2014. In China, Changzhou is popularly known as a center of manufacturing industry and an economic engine city. The fame of this city in tourism is being ignored. Tourism industry in Changzhou today has been a highlight of development. |
Relics and Memorials. Changzhou is a city with a history of more or less 3,200 years. It boasts the City of Dragon in China. Since 589, it was officially named Changzhou and established as a regional municipality in 1949. Such a time-honored city of China reserves lots of valued sites of history and culture. Some of them are listed below:
Gardens and Residences. Similar to its neighbor Wuxi, Suzhou, Zhenjiang, Yangzhou and Huzhou, Changzhou is also a garden city. Lots of rich men's private gardens were built here in history. And the residences of the local celebrities are also strongly highlighted with the garden building style. Some of them are selected and listed hereinafter:
Changzhou Museum. This is the first stop to visit Changzhou. In the Museum of Changzhou, travelers will learn the basic information about Changzhou including its history and culture, and some unique collections only seen in Changzhou. It is the largest comprehensive museum of Changzhou together with a children natural museum, which is said to be the only children natural museum in China. More to read at the Introduction to Changzhou Museum>>>
- Chunqiu Yancheng Tourism Area. Chunqiu Yancheng literally meaning The Yan City of Spring and Autumn Period is the best preserved and oldest city relics of the period of the Spring and Autumn. It is located in the downtown central area of Wujin District, Changzhou. the core part is the relic with a history of more than 2,5000 years. In 1988, it was listed to be an important historical site under the national protection. And now, it is a tentative site that China Bureau of Cultural Relics applies for the World Cultural Heritage Site. More to read at the Introduction to Chunqiu Yancheng Relics >>>
- The Ruins of Helv City. Located between Hushan Village of Hudai Town of Wuxi and Chengli Village of Xueyan Town of Changzhou, it is a big city relic constructed in the medium term of Spring and Autumn. It was historically described to be the capital city of Wu State in the period of Spring and Autumn. Today, the Ruins of Helv City is a key historical site under the national protection. More to read at the Introduction to The Ruins of Helv City >>>
- The Relic of Sanxing Village. Situated in Sanxing Village, Jintan City, Sanxing Village Relic was officially accepted as an important site of Neolithic age, which the archeologists discovered and confirmed in 1985.It, is a critical place for the research of the cultural category of the Neolithic age in the downstream area of the Yangtze River and the study of civilization source in East China.
- Tianning Temple. Literally Heavenly Peace Temple, it boasts the No.1 Buddhist Temple of Southeast China and the top tourist site in Changzhou. Originally built in Tang Dynasty and renamed Tianning Temple in 1111, it was the must visit of Emperors of Qing Dynasty. It is one of four most famous Zen Buddhism Monasteries in China together with Jinshan Temple of Zhenjiang, Gaomin Temple of Yangzhou and Tiantong Temple of Ningbo, More to read at the Introduction to Tianning Temple >>>
- The Residence and Tomb of Tang Jingchuan. Tang Jingchuan was a genius of Ming Dynasty. He won the first place in the superior examination held in capital city. He officially became an official of Han Lin Yuan, which the Emperor set as the place of talented people to do some cultural events such as compiling the books. His literary works were highly commented in history. He and Wang Shenzhong and Gui Youguang were together called Three Literary Masters during Jiajing Reign, and three of them together called Six Literary Masters of Ming Dynasty with Song Lian, Fang Xiaoru and Wang Shouren. His tomb and residence are well preserved in Changzhou. More to read at the Introduction to Tang Jingchuan's Residence and Tomb >>>
- The other valued historical relics and memorials inclusive of Lijia Wang Family's Ancestral Temple, Piqiao Calligraphic Stone Inscription of Chunhuage Collection, Wenbi Pagoda, City Wall of Xiying Gate and Liuqing Bamboo Carvings.
Holidays and Leisure Resorts. Near to the West Lake, Changhzou is also a nice place to have holidays. There are many ideal resorts and parks. Some best sites are listed below:
Jinyuan Garden. Jinyuan Garden or Nearness Garden is also understood to be Tranquility Garden and Yun Family Private Garden. It is a garden built in the times of early Qing Dynasty and late Ming Dynasty. The highlight of the garden is the lovely and refreshing miniascapes. The classical garden features the strong traditional culture and local custom. More to read at the Introduction to Jinyuan Garden >>>
- Weiyuan Garden. This is a classical garden of Changzhou located in Municipal Youth Palace. It is free to visit. It was a private garden built by Qian Linpu, a timber businessman, in 1920s. The whole building complex of the garden strongly features the Jiangnan traditional gardening art and the traditional aesthetics. The main pavilions include Dicui Xuan, Yubo Ting, Yule Xie, Yishuang Ting, Changchun Ting and so on. More to read at the Introduction to Weiyuan Garden >>>
- Yiyuan Garden. A Han Nationality’s classical garden built in Qing Dynasty. It used to be the private garden of Zhao Xiongzhao, a famous No.1 Scholar during the reign of Emperor Kangxi, Qing Dynasty. Later, it was enlarged by Zhao Huaiyu, the descendant of Zhao Xiongzhao. In 1864, it was burnt down in the civil warfare between Qing Government and Taiping Heavenly Kingdom. In 1886, it was purchased by Shi Ganfu, a local governor, and largely restored. And the whole garden was divided into the inner garden and the outer garden. More to read at the Introduction to Yiyuan Garden >>>
- Prince Dai’s Mansion. This is the mansion of Prince Dai, who was the famous general Huang Chengzhong in the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom. The mansion is located at Xianqian Street 18, Jintan City. The whole mansion was rebuilt in 1984, and lots of important buildings, carvings and paintings are well preserved here. Today, it is a popular tourist site in Changzhou. More to read at the Introduction to Mansion of Prince Dai >>>
- Lv Gong’s Mansion. The whole mansion was restored in 2006, and typically featuring the Huizhou style of architecture. Lv Gong was an influential and brilliant scholar and official in early Qing Dynasty. He was the top winner of Imperial Examination of Qing Dynasty (1647). He was smart to retire and retreat since he was raised to the position of premier, though Emperor Shunzhi disallowed，and since then, he led a low-profile life, and the neighbors never knew he was such a great man at the time. More to read at the Introduction to Lv Gong and His Residence >>>
- Sheng Xuanhuai’s Residence. It is a well-preserved Chinese villa, only 20 meters away from the former residence of Qu Qiubai, who was a famous guy in modern China. Actually, the villa is not worthy of long stay, but it is quite necessary to learn about this great figure. Sheng Xuanhuai was the No.1 contributor to modernization movement of Qing Dynasty, lots of modern universities, factories and hospitals were built under his efforts. More to read at the Introduction to Sheng Xuanhuai and His Residence >>>
- Lv Simian’s Residence. The building complex is located on Shizi Street, and it is elegant and traditional and characterized of private study room. Lv Simian was a great scholar and historian. His achievements in study of ancient history and culture inspire lots of young scholars. More to read at the Introduction to Lv Simian and His Residence >>>
- Zhao Yi’s Residence. Located at Qianbeian 1, the former residence of Zhao Yi was a cultural site under the municipal protection. Zhao Yi was a famous historian, poet and scholar of Qing Dynasty. He and Yuan Mei and Jiang Shiquan together were called Three Masters of East China. He was the third place winner of the Imperial Examination and used to be the governor of Guangzhou. At the age of 57, he moved to this residence and lived here for 31 years till passed away in the house. More to read at the Introduction to Zhao Yi and His Residence >>>
- Hong Liangji’s Residence. Located at the Shizi Alley, Yanling East Road. Hong Liangji was a native whose grandfathers moved here from Huizhou, Anhui province. He was the second place winner of the Imperial Examination in 1790. He was famous scholar. The residence was presented by Bi Ruan in 1783. He added the Gengsheng Hall and created the artificial rockeries in the garden. More to read at the Introduction to Hong Liangji and His Residence >>>
- Fei Boxiong’s Residence. It is located at Dananmennei 17, Menghe Town, Xinbei District, Changzhou. It is a traditional building approximately built in the late Qing Dynasty. At the time, it was called Yangzhuo Hall. In 2003, the residence was listed as a cultural site under the municipal protection. Fei Boxiong was a legendary genius and disinterested in official career but specialized in medicine. He had an ambition of being famous scholar and doctor. He at the time was a well-known doctor, and did the ground-breaking job to establish the Menghe Medicine School. It was commented to be the most famous one among the doctors in Jiangnan Region in the History Book of Qing Dynasty. More to read at the Introduction to Fei Boxiong and His Residence >>>.
- Wu Zhihui’s Residence. This is the former residence and also the memorial hall of Wu Zhihui in Wujin District, Changzhou. Wu Zhihui was the only Chinese scholar listed to be one of the world’s one hundred great men of culture and academics in last century by UNESCO. He was a great ideologist, politician, educationist, calligraphist and academician of the Academia Sinica. More to read at the Introduction to Wu Zhihui and His Residence >>>
- The listed tourist sites above are just the representatives of the hundreds of the similar attractions in Changzhou. Some others also include The Former Residence of Zhao Yuanren and The Former Residence of Guan Ganzhen and so on.
The Universities of Changzhou. Except as an important industrial city, Changzhou is also an important educational city in Jiangsu province. Most of the colleges or universities here are tending to vocational education and skill education. The most famous universities or colleges here are represented by Changzhou University and Hohai University Branch.
Tianmu Lake Holiday Resort. Situated in the southern area, approximately 8 kilometers away from the downtown Liyang. Due to two big reservoirs, respectively named Shahe and Daxi, both of which the people describe as two eyes of the sky, so it was named Tianmu Lake or Sky-Eye Lake. In the scenic area, there are many historical and cultural sites such as the Wuyuan Mountain named after Wu Zixu. The Reading Platform of Cai Yong, Taibai Tower, Baoen Zen Monastery and so on. Tianmu Lake Holiday Resort is a comprehensive tourist resort. More to read at the Introduction to Tianmu Lake Changzhou>>>
- Tianmu Lake Yushui Hot Spring. Ranked as one of ten top hot springs in China, Yushui Hot Spring is the most characteristic hot spring holiday resort. It is one of three main scenic zones in Tianmu Lake Scenic Area. More to read at the Introduction to Tianmu Lake Yushui Hot Spring>>>
- Changzhou South Street. This is a century-old street located at the downtown business zone. It is the most famous shopping street in Changzhou, and known as the display window of fashion. As a blend of tradition and modernity, Changzhou South Street is a place for leisure, shopping, dining and traveling.
- China Dinosaur Park. This is a popular dinosaur-theme park, ranking the 11th among thousands of theme parks in Asia, and the fourth largest theme park in China. More to read at the Introduction to China Dinosaur Park >>>
- Hongmei Park. Located on the north side of Tianning Temple, Hongmei Park or the Red Plum Park is the No.1 Park and also the largest park in downtown area of Changzhou. The symbolic buildings in the park are represented by the Writing Brush Pagoda and Red Plum Pavilion, both of which were built before Tang Dynasty. More to read at the Introduction to Hongmei Park >>>
- The other important sites deserving a travel include The Bamboo Forest of South Hill and Green Maple Park.
Changzhou University. The University was established in 1978 on the basis of former Changzhou Campus of Nanjing Institute of Chemical Industry. In 1981, it was officially named Jiangsu Institute of Chemical Industry. In 1992, it was administrated by China Petrochemical Corporation and renamed as Jiangsu Institute of Petrochemical Technology. In 2002, it was renamed as Jiangsu Institute of Industry. In 2010, it was approved to be The University of Changzhou. More to read at the Introduction to Changzhou University >>>.
- Changzhou Campus of Hohai University. This is a national key university highlighted with its academic achievements in water conservancy project. It was sourced from Hohai Engineering School established in 1915. In 1952, the Water Conservancy Departments of Nanjing University, JiaoTong University, Tongji University and Zhejiang University were unified together, and then a new and national water conservancy university appeared. It was officially named East China Water Conservancy University and became one of 32 national key engineering universities in 1960. In 1985, it regained the original name Hohai, and The University of Hohai was finally fixed. Changzhou Campus is one of three campuses of this university. More to read at the Introduction to Hohai University >>>
- The other representative higher education institutes also include Changzhou Institute of Technology and Changzhou College of Information Technology. All of the higher education institutes are based on the realistic needs of engineering and manufacturing in Changzhou.
| The Travel Guide of Changzhou
Editor: Julius from Mildchina
All Rights Reserved, Illegal Duplication is Forbidden