Huzhou is a one of the northernmost cities in Zhejiang province. It connects with Taihu Lake, Changzhou City of Jiangsu province and Jiaxing city of Zhejiang province. Huzhou is a famous ancient city in Jiangnan region with a history of more than 2,300 years. On July 14, 2014, Huzhou was successfully inscribed into the list of China Famous National Historical and Cultural City. Huzhou is a popular tourist destination with the cultural lovers. Huzhou is the birthplace of the silk in the world, the tea of Huzhou is the superior option for tea purchasing, and the Chinese Brush, or the ancient soft pen for calligraphic inscription, is the most famous throughout the country. The typical tourist sites of the natural landscapes and cultural landscapes are displayed below:|
The Cultural Landscapes
Anciently named Wuxing, Huzhou(湖州, The Prefecture of Lake) is a long-standing city, and lots of the relics remain thousands of years later. Among them, the popular tourist sites of culture and history include:
(1) Nanxun Old Town(南浔古镇) is a famous water town to view the classic boating and private classical gardens with many types of rockeries. Why is it called Nanxun? Since Southern Song Dynasty, it borders on Xunxi Brook, and on the southern side of Xunxi Brook, there was a hot marketplace gathering many businessmen and shops, and it was named Nanlin(South Forest). And then the people selected the first character of Nanlin and Xunxi Brook together, and finally it was named Nanxun. This ancient township was developed in 1982, and lots of ancient citizen residences, mansions and gardens have been well preserved. In 2003, Nanxun together with Wuzhen and Xitang towns applied for being the UNESCO world cultural heritage site, and currently in the tentative list.
Since the development of economy and the bloom of silk industry, Nanxun became China’s silk product trading center in the period from late Qing Dynasty to the early Republic of China. In the folk community, there is a saying – an entire city of Huzhou inferior to a half of Nanxun Town. Nanxun became a powerful and rich town with hundreds of rich men. The richest of them had a nickname – Four Elephants, Eight Ox and Seventy Two Gold Dogs. They were the largest silk businessmen group in modern China. Today, it is a wonderful township with a strong feature of ancient gardens, mansions, pavilions, corridors, lakes, rockeries and paifang (MORE ABOUT NANXUN TOWNSHIP >>>).
The Gate of Little Lotus Garden in Nanxun Ancient Town
(2) Little Lotus Garden (小莲庄), was a classical garden complex built in the reign of Emperor Guanxu, Late Qing Dynasty. It was the private garden, family ancestral temple and coffin site of Liu Yong, who was the No.1 rich man of Nanxun. It is located on the west side of Wangu Bridge, Nanzha, Nanxun Township, and northwardly close to Zhegu Brook, and westwardly opposite to Jiaye Hall Library. Due to the owner’s adoration to Huzhou Lotus Garden, which was a private garden of art master Zhao Mengfu, this private garden was named Little Lotus Garden, and today, it is a cultural site under the national key protection ( MORE ABOUT LITTLE LOTUS GARDEN >>>).
(3) Jiaye Book Library (嘉业堂)in Nanxun, which is one of most well-known libraries in East China. It is opposite to The Little Lotus Garden, and was built in 1920 by Liu Chenggan, who was the grandson of Liu Yong. It was named after the imperial inscription of Emperor Puyi, the last emperor in ancient history of China, and the inscription was Qin Ruo Jia Ye(钦若嘉业, Adoring Such A Great Achievement) on the gold board of nine dragons. The tower is grand and symbolic in Nanxun. It is a collection of library and garden considerably famous for its preservation of the ancient classics and books. It is one of the most famous private book libraries in modern China and a cultural site under the national key protection. After 1949, the ownership of the library was moved to Zhejiang Library, and today it is a hot tourist site and public library in Nanxun. ( MORE ABOUT JIAYE BOOK LIBRARY >>> ).
(4) The Former Residence of Zhang Jingjiang in Nanxun. Also called Zunde Hall(尊德堂, The Hall of Respecting the Morality), the former residence of Zhang Jingjiang is located in Nanxun Town, Huzhou. It is a nationally protected site. The building complex was constructed in 1898 by Zhang Songxian, who was the grandfather of Zhang Jingjiang and one of four richest men in Huzhou with a nickname of Four Elephants. Zhang Songxian had another name Zhu Zhai and also the close friend of Sun Yat-sen. Zhang Jingjiang was a celebrated man and one of four founding members of Kuomintang Party. He used to be the deputy chairman of provincial government of Zhejiang province in the Republic of China
(5) Iron Buddha Monastery in Wuxing District. Located on Laodong Road, Huzhou, the Temple is comprised of the front hall and the rear hall. The front hall houses an iron-made Kuan-yin Bodhisattva, and the rear displays a bronze bell of Japan. Also on the wall of the rear hall, there is a huge stele of Tianning Wanshou Zen Monastery written by Zhao Mengfu, a great calligrapher and painter in Yuan Dynasty. The Iron Kuan-yin Bodhisattva, Japanese Bronze Bell and Zhao Mengfu’s Calligraphic Inscription were called three treasures of the Iron Buddha Monastery, and it was listed to be the cultural site under the provincial protection in 1963.
(6) The other high-quality tourist sites include Yunxiu Temple in Deqing County, The Mausoleum of Zhao Mengfu in Deqing County, and The Tomb of Hu Yuan in Wuxing District.
The Natural Landscapes
Huzhou is a large botanical garden, especially the bamboo. The famous natural landscapes include 72 Peaks of Dahan, Hundred Waterfalls of Hidden Dragons, Zhongnan Baicao Garden, Anji Bamboo Expo Park, Anji Grand National Bamboo Forest, Tea Plantation of Guzhu Hill, Xiazhu Lake Wetland, Tianfu Lake, Lotus Valley, White Tea Valley, and Nine Dragons Gorge. Three natural reserves of Huzhou also deserve your attention – Dragon King Mountain Natural Reserve, Yijiabian Yangtze Alligator Protection Zone and Changxing County’s Limestone Protection Zone.
The Bamboo Forest in Anji County, Huzhou, Zhejiang Province
Among them, the Grand National Bamboo Forest and Bamboo are two nice sites to see the natural bamboo landscapes in Huzhou. Bamboo is the No.1 natural symbol of Huzhou. It is also the favorite plant of the ancient elites or literature scholars. There is a custom that the local people usually plant the bamboos around their houses. Su Dongpo, a great soul of ancient China and one of the ancient governors in Huzhou, said that:
I could lead a life with non-meat meals but disallow a life without bamboos
People will be only thin without meat food, but without bamboos, people will have a bad taste in the life.
The Holiday Resorts
(1) Mogan Mountain Summer Resorts located in Deqing County, roughly 40 kilometers away from the downtown Hangzhou. it ranks one of four most famous summer resorts in China together with Lushan Mountain, Beidai River and Jigong Mountain. Mogan Mountain boasts the No.1 Mountain of Jiangnan and the Cool and Refreshing World. Today, it is a national famous place of interest in China. The Naked Retreat Hotel is the most holiday resort located in Mogan Mountain Scenic Area.(MORE ABOUT MOGAN MOUNTAIN SUMMER RESORTS >>>).
The spiritual meditation organized in Naked Retreat Resort in Mogan Mountain Scenic Area
(2) Sheraton Hotel Hot Spring Resort Huzhou widely known as The Moon Hotel is a luxury hotel and resort. It is China’s first white gold seven-star hotel on the water. It is located on the southern side of Tai Lake and the landmark building on the World’s 9th Bay of the Tai Lake. Due to its torus geometrical shape it is nicknamed Horseshoe Hotel, Doughnut Hotel and Toilet Seat Cover. The hot spring service here is unbeatable in East China.(MORE ABOUT SHERATON HOT SPRING RESORT >>>)